Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reaction to Recent Race Based Hate Rhetoric at Mizzou (MU)

This past weekend the words "Nigger Month" were spray painted on Mizzou's campus. This act of violence is not the first of its kind at Mizzou. Unfortunately, Mizzou has a long history with racism and other forms of discrimination and blatant prejudice (1). Additionally, it was about a year ago, also during black history month, that cotton balls were spread over MU's Black Cultural Center.

As a social justice advocate, as someone who is committed to the black community, as someone who has compassion for those who suffer, and as a rhetorical scholar I am deeply offended by these actions. There are many messages that these acts send. First, it seems as though this hate filled rhetoric, whether it be cotton balls or violent graffiti, are acts of terrorism. Whether intended to or not, I can't imagine how people are supposed to feel safe in such an environment. Thus, it seems that these rhetorical acts send terrorizing messages to black students, and to members of the black community. If you disagree, may I ask: How does this rhetoric not terrorize?

Next, these acts and especially the one from this past weekend literally seem to send the message that to celebrate black history month is wrong and that it is nothing more than giving attention to people who aren't worthy of attention. This 'better than you attitude' is not just offensive and unjustified, it is dehumanizing. Dehumanizing rhetoric aimed at placing particular groups of people as less than others is something that is not a new phenomena. If history & rhetoric has taught me nothing else, it has taught me that the past is filled with dehumanizing rhetoric and acts, that are both violent and work together towards social injustice.

One of the many things of particular importance about this dehumanizing rhetoric, is that it was tagged on MU's campus which is literally home to thousands of students, including minority students, and sends a message to everyone that hate is still alive & present towards Blacks. Additionally, if you happen to be the intended target of that message the message is clear: you are not worthy, you are less than, and you can feel right about yourself if you feel dehumanized.

So, with such a deplorable rhetorical act staring us in the face- what will be the reaction of the multiple audience members? When I woke up today, I wondered where the protest march will be or when the rally will be where I can attend to show my support for the Black/African American community(ies) and show my condemnation of the latest event- only to be disappointed again. It seems, thus far, that there will be no protest. There will be no rally. (I guess I am just too used to being in the SF bay area where such actions would not go without a rallied reaction.) Instead, I am to be content with the MU mass email sent by the Chancellor yesterday informing the MU community of his deep regret for "racial slurs" (may I note, doesn't give the full impression of the actual rhetoric used), the arrest of a suspect, and........

And, I don't know. I don't know if their will eventually be a rally, or if there will be a protest, so for now I am left with the stain that this last rhetoric has imposed upon me and on others. And I, like others, are seemingly supposed to be content with the email and the arrest.

Well, I can say that I am not content.

I may I also suggest, that I am guessing others aren't either.

On a more positive note, if I have also learned anything else about history & rhetoric it is that there are always rhetorical acts of social justice advocacy that come out in reaction to hate based rhetoric. Although there are many acts being posted around the web in reaction to the hate based graffiti, I would like to quote NAACP chapter president Bryan Like when he said

"If Mizzou is really taking a stance on racism, then Mizzou will take its “zero tolerance attitude” for these actions and make measures to educate and scare any undercover racist from making statements such as this one.

Just like the cotton ball incident was not just littering, this spray paint is not just vandalism. This is a direct attack on the black students of the University of Missouri, and we will not stand by and take this type of treatment from anyone, seen or not seen(2)".

I admit, as an educator I will not attempt to use this opportunity to scare my students from making racist statement (hopefully education can occur without scaring) , but I do agree with most of this message. First, Mizzou and its community MUST make a zero tolerance stance on racism. Next, we must work to educate about race, race relations, and social justice. Additionally, it is completely inappropriate to suggest that what happened is simply an act of vandalism. Instead, this act should be approached as an act that is "motivated because of race" (3) and therefore merits at the very least a hate crime charge or something equatable. And finally, I like others including Mr Like, will not accept or stand by and take this treatment.

In such times as these, when we are exposed to rhetoric such as this, it is important for people to examine said rhetoric and to flush out its meanings, its effects, its intentions, along with attempting to understand where it comes from, who it comes from, why it happens, and I feel - in this particular instance it is most important to give compassion to the audience, and most particularly the intended audience. I am not claiming to have exhausted all such areas, for what is written here is but a brief reaction. But I want to leave us with the idea, that rhetoric is powerful. In this most recent incident, just in case people didn't know before, we can see that rhetoric can be violent, hurtful, terrorizing, socially unjust, and dehumanizing. Out of this rhetoric, and the pain it's causing- I look forward to more words like those of Mr Like. I look forward to socially just rhetoric that will stand up against violent rhetoric and show support for those who have become targets of hate. And most importantly, I look forward to the fruition of such social justice based rhetoric.


Final thoughts:

To those who don't understand the gravity of this situation- ask questions and seek understanding. If anything, in an attempt to never commit such heinous acts yourself.

To those suffering: My heart goes out to you and I hope that you can find strength to heal. And know that there are people out there who care, even if at times it may not seem like it.



1. http://naacpminorityreport.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/racism-strikes-mizzou-again-2011/ ; http://mizzoucollegedemocrats.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/students-stand-up-against-discrimination-and-mu-republican-columnist/ ; http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/03/01/guest-commentary-cotton-balls-black-culture-center-show-racism-still-very-much-alive-mu-campus/
2. http://naacpminorityreport.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/racism-strikes-mizzou-again-2011/
3. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5570000035.HTM

1 comment:

Maxwell Philbrook said...

Great post, I was wondering where the discussion of this event was taking place. So far, the only thing I've read (heard, followed, etc) was the campus paper that ran the front page article about the 'indefinite suspension' of the student responsible. This isn't an intentional scare tactic, but it serves that purpose. The only problem I fear, is that these actions will more deeply embed the 'underground' racism instead of flushing it out and opening a space for discussion about these things, and will ultimately be counter-productive. Even a protest march/rally/celebration might also serve a divisive purpose...
Thoughts on the unintended effect of giving these actions an audience? I haven't thought it all the way through...

Solution: Compassionate Graffiti?